Monday, April 12, 2010

On Doing

I don't think wired humanity knows how to wait anymore. It's practically disappeared from our vocabularies. I have a number of friends who scoff, whine, rail or freak out at the prospect of waiting. I find myself doing the same thing.

I suppose it's fear of being viewed as unproductive. If you're not doing anything, then why are you here? Everyone asks that of themselves. It becomes a nagging question that drives us to French kiss a shotgun, because the answer may not be palatable.

When did doing nothing become so negative? Even yoga, the Indian discipline for tranquility of the mind, body and spirit, is something people do to fight boredom. It's something they do so they can say they're actually doing something.

Even our moments of reflection are timed.

No comments: